woensdag 11 mei 2016

Af en toe een fragment - Lydia Davis

I don't consciously avoid metaphors, or similes for that matter. If they don't happen in my writing, it may be because I find the thing I am writing about compelling enough without comparing is to something else. Maybe I don't want to introduce some completely different world or image. For instance, in the case of the cornmeal making little drops of condensation in the story Cornmeal, I could say, 'like little nipples on the underside of the plate,' but then you introduce nipples into the story. Or dew drops - 'like little dew drops' - but then you introduce the outdoor landscape. If I avoid metaphor, and if I have to think of a reason why, it may be that I don't want to distract from the one thing I'm concentrating on, and a metaphor immediately does that. It introduces some completely, even incongruous, other image and world.

Fragment uit een interview in The Paris Review met Lydia Davis.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Wat Lydia zegt, daar ben ik het helemaal mee eens. Ik vermoed zelfs dat ik ook geneigd ben die werkwijze toe te passen. De basis van een vertelling moet neutraal zijn, zodat de focus op wat ik eigenlijk wil zeggen intact blijft. Te veel liflafjes leiden af. Een robijn in een ring = schitterend, als de ring dan nog versierd is met kleine diamantjes, verliest de robijn aan glorie.

    Een bedje sla en daarop een mooie tomaat met garnaaltjes: de hemel! Als de garnaaltjes met een mix van ik weet niet hoeveel ingrediënten gemengd zijn, verdwijnt de smoky geur en de droom van de zee...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Less is more. Zie ook: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/07/lydia-daviss-very-short-stories/372286/

      Verwijderen